Welcome to The Bougainvilla House Family Therapy Center behavioral health resources & blog section.
Here you will find links to help you better understand our approach to treatment, as well as helpful behavioral health resources you can use at home.
ADOLESCENT BEHAVIORAL HEALTH
MANY BEHAVIORAL HEALTH DISORDERS FIRST PRESENT DURING ADOLESCENCE:
- 20-30 percent of adolescents have one major depressive episode before they reach adulthood.
- 50-75 percent of adolescents with anxiety disorders and impulse control disorders, like conduct disorder or attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, develop symptoms during adolescence.
- Existing behavioral health problems become increasingly complex and intense as children transition into adolescence.
SUICIDE IS THE THIRD LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH IN ADOLESCENTS AND YOUNG ADULTS:
- Suicide affects young people from all ages, races, genders and socioeconomic groups, although some groups seem to have higher rates than others.
- Older adolescents, aged 15-19, are at an increased risk for suicide.
- Between 500,000 and 1,000,000 young people aged 15 to 24 attempt suicide each year.
- Source: nccp.org
ADOLESCENT SUBSTANCE USE IN FLORIDA
- The average age of first drug use is 13, with children as young as 10 classifying drug use as a major problem facing their peers.
- In Broward County, 37 percent of high school students have ridden in a car with a driver under the influence of alcohol or marijuana.
- Among Florida high school students, 13 percent reported smoking marijuana and 7.3 percent reported drinking alcohol before or during school.
- Alcohol is the leading cause of death for people aged 15 to 24.
- 19.7 percent of high school students in Broward County reported drinking 5 or more drinks.
- 29 percent of high school students in Florida have used marijuana one or more times in their life.
- In 2014, nearly one in five high school students in Florida reported having blacked out after drinking.
- Marijuana was the primary drug of 93 percent of adolescents younger than 18 in 2015.
GET STARTED NOW
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
National Institute of Mental Health
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Office of Safe and Drug-Free Schools
Partnership for Drug-Free Kids